Friendo Health Supplements is an Amazon Affiliate. We may receive a compensation if you choose to shop at Amazon after reading our article and clicking on a link to Amazon from our site. This helps us provide you with valuable content and doesn’t cost you anything extra. We appreciate your support of the site in that manner.
As times evolve, people that are driven by humanitarian principles, advanced technology, and vast research material continue to amaze the world. This is by coming up with all kinds of therapies to treat disorders that have been difficult to treat. One such therapy is EDTA Chelation therapy. Before we define what it is, let’s first look at IV Chelation therapy in general.
What is IV Chelation Therapy?Chelation therapy refers to a medical treatment procedure that administers special drugs into the body through an intravenous (IV) tube in a patient’s arm, orally through a pill, or using other delivery methods, to remove metals from the blood and deep tissues. These special drugs are referred to as chelating agents. As such, they chemically bond with chemical toxins, heavy metals, and minerals in the body to form a substance that is excreted in feces and urine.
Some of these chelating agents include lactic acid, citric acid, ascorbic acid, and acetic acid, all of which are naturally produced in the body. At their low levels, however, they are not capable of completely resolving issues like heavy metal poisoning, which is where EDTA and other manufactured compounds come in.
What is EDTA Chelation Therapy?It is a treatment procedure that involves the administration of EDTA into the bloodstream through an IV (IntraVenous) tube on the arm or an oral supplement. The treatment seeks to eliminate harmful substances such as heavy metals, fatty plaques from calcium deposits in the arteries, toxins, and mineral deposits.
When such compounds build up in the body, they can have fatal side effects. Lead poisoning, for example, can lead to brain and kidney damage, and in extreme cases, death. Fatty plaques on the other and can lead to atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) which can lead to heart attacks. This is why EDTA Chelation therapy was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat metal poisoning in 1953.
Some alternative healthcare providers such as Dr. Rashid Buttar and others have also used the treatment off-label to successfully treat autism, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease. The use of EDTA therapy to treat these conditions has, however, not yet been approved, due to insufficient research on the matter, and potential risks involved. As of now, EDTA Treatment therapy is only FDA Approved for metal poisoning. Note that EDTA cannot, however, chelate mercury, hence its use in mercury poisoning is not approved. There are other chelating agents which do remove mercury, such as DMSA (Dimercaptosuccinic acid, also called succimer). (1) EDTA Chelation therapy is often used in conjunction with, or subsequently or prior to, intravenous high dose vitamin C therapy, which we wrote about here.
How Does It Work?EDTA refers to ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid, a synthetic amino acid that circulates through the blood and binds with metals like lead in the body to form a compound that can be eliminated through pee. It is a safe compound when administered the right way, being approximately one third as toxic to the body as aspirin. (2)
Administration of EDTA has to be done by a professional, who begins by assessing the presence of metal poisoning. From here, the medication is given for through an IV tube for about 30 minutes, in regular weekly intervals. Some other synthetic compounds that can be used in its place include dimercaprol and dimercaptosuccinic acid.
When is EDTA Chelation Therapy used?
- Heavy Metal and Toxin Removal - People who have heavy metal poisoning such as lead can be treated using this therapy. Moreover, it cures brain and muscle damage caused by lead poisoning. It also removes radioactive substances like strontium, uranium, thorium, and plutonium. Additionally, it binds with copper in patients who have a genetic disorder called Wilson's disease. (3)
- Heart and Blood Vessels Relief From Fatty Plaques - When fat and calcium build up in the blood circulatory system organs, it can cause conditions like irregular heartbeats, stroke, high cholesterol, chest pains, high blood pressure, and others. EDTA therapy has shown to successfully reduce the plaque that causes the disorders stated here.
- Other Diseases that are Related to Toxin and Metal Build-up - It has been effective in treating and reducing the symptoms of skin conditions like scleroderma and psoriasis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and even cancer.
What are the Benefits of EDTA Chelation Therapy?Since the government is yet to approve the use of this treatment for some illnesses, we’ll divide the benefits into the proven benefits and those yet to be proven.
Proven benefits of chelation therapy
- Heavy Metal Removal - A myriad of things can lead to heavy metal poisoning. From breathing polluted air, drinking polluted water, ingesting some lead paint unknowingly, and even genetic disorders like Wison disease. This is a disease that causes copper poisoning. Chelation therapy has however managed to counteract these to restore the general body health.
Unproven benefits of chelation therapy
- Heart disease - Since the build-up of plaque leads to heart disorders, when calcium in plaque is removed, the deposit is reduced, thereby preventing and minimizing the symptoms of heart disease. Though the therapy has been effective in some, other studies suggest otherwise. Due to the risks of chelation therapy (will be discussed later), unproven theories cannot be approved by the FDA.
- Diabetes - Under the procedure involved in treating the circulatory system, diabetes cannot be treated, but some symptoms which appear later in diabetic patients, like heart disease, can be prevented. This has been evident in some research studies conducted by different organizations, but the test samples are inadequate to lead to a conclusive result.
- Autism - Autism was believed to be caused by a compound called thimerosal which contained traces of mercury. About a decade ago, this belief was, however, proven untrue. A review of the study in 2012 showed that indeed, autism had a strong relationship with heavy metals. As such, babies who had higher lead content in their teeth had higher chances of developing autism which is where chelation therapy came in. Some treatments have, however, had catastrophic side effects like cognitive impairment which is why it is still yet to be accepted. (4)
- Alzheimer’s disease - People also believe that Alzheimer’s disease is caused by metal, Aluminum. It enters the brain through utensils and cosmetic products like deodorants. The research to support this claim is insufficient, which is why this cannot be accepted as a fact. (5)
What Are the Risks Associated With Chelation Therapy?Through the right procedures and medical personnel, chelation therapy has proven to be safe and quite beneficial. The only side effects that come after appropriate administration include a burning sensation at the IV injection area and in some cases nausea, vomiting, fever, and headache.
Excessive use of chelation against could, however, bind excess minerals and metals in the body, some of which are needed for proper functioning. These include zinc, copper, and calcium. Low level, for example in calcium can lead to kidney damage. Other rare but serious complications include heart failure, a sudden drop in blood pressure, bone marrow suppression, and even death.
Currently, chelation therapy is primarily used for metal poisoning, as approved by the FDA. Treatment for other conditions is not approved due to insufficient evidence, as well as the risks involved. When used appropriately, however, the treatment could lead to unprecedented medical reforms.
Popular EDTA Chelation Products/Supplements
Probably the easiest way to detox with EDTA, this twice-daily supplement and antioxidant is taken on an empty stomach to allow maximal detoxification. Made by a reputable company since 1992, the Supersmart EDTA Detox Supplement is available from Amazon for $27.00 for a one-month supply.
Metal Detox Creams
These easy-to-use and effective creams are especially helpful for use in children, who may not tolerate intravenous, suppository, or oral supplement products. Among the most favored among health practitioners is the Detoxacream EDTA Heavy Metal Detox Cream, which is available at Amazon for $59.95. The cream is a lower-strength option which is long-acting, for a slow and consistent pull of heavy metals from the body. Since the skin absorbs it readily, an over 90% absorption into the body is achieved, according to the manufacturer.